Most importantly, it’s impossible to overdress. Always come erroring on the side of being too dressy rather than too casual. Here are a few basic pointers to help you in the right direction:
- Pick one outfit. With your engagement session, you are limited to a time duration. And the second outfit that you have in mind isn’t your favorite. You will always have that one favorite outfit. Choose that one. And maximize the time you have during your engagement session with that one outfit. Otherwise, you will spend a duration of that time changing. It’s honestly just not worth it doing more than one outfit for your engagement session.
- Don’t try to go all matchy-matchy. Go for complimentary outfits instead. Similar vibes. Similar colors. Complimentary is the key word here.
- Stay away from bold patterns and graphics.
- Avoid items of clothing with big logos. If you can, stay away from logos altogether.
- Ladies, for your outfits – Pastel colors are great. Soft, warm, romantic tones. And if you want to really make a bold statement, go for a really bold red or popping yellow. Those two colors really stand out – especially if you are trying to becomce Insta-famous.
- Accessories are an amazing touch. The quality is in the details. Don’t go for bold accessories, but go for accessories that add that extra bit of class and personality.
- Empty your pockets. Don’t have anything on you during your session. You don’t want to look back on photographs for the rest of your life when you have your keys, cell phone or wallet bulging out.
- Iron or steam your clothes to eliminate all wrinkles. That’s even true if it’s a brand new shirt, gentlemen. Those new shirts and pants are creased, and those lines will show up in the photographs. Make sure those outfits are looking sharp and wrinkle-free.
- Clean your ring. Make it sparkle. Many jewelers will do this for free for you.
- Plan for traffic. Even if that day typically doesn’t have traffic, plan for it. Worst case scenario, you will arrive early and be able to relax. Do not plan to arrive right when your session is supposed to start. Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the session start time.
- Arrive early. Same note as above, but it’s worth repeating. You will be less stressed and more relaxed so you can simply just enjoy your portrait session.
- Make a date out of it. You are all dressed up, so after your session is done, go grab a romantic dinner. It’s these moments that are truly memorable. Make it a fond one.
- The more comfortable you are with the style of outfit, the more comfortable you’ll feel and less awkward you’ll feel when posing in front of the camera :). Stick with your “style” and what makes you feel beautiful and comfortable.
- Complement, but don’t match
Stick away from matching your partners outfit and wearing patterns that are too busy. Keep colors of outfits solid. Complementing each others outfits works out best for portraits.
Also pay attention to color scheme. If you want to wear a nice blue dress, adding the same blue hue in one of your fiancé’s accessories can be a great way to keep a color scheme and complement his outfit instead of matching.
- Wear Pastels, cool colors, and neutral tones
Stick away from strong colors like neon and orange. Pastels, cool colors, and neutral tones will help your faces and love for each other in the portraits stand out.
- Go classic, not trendy.
Choose outfits that will be timeless! The last thing you want is to look back at an engagement session years from now and be upset that you’re wearing something that is no longer in style. Go with a classic outfit you are comfortable in that will never go out of style.
- Make use of the season! Not sure what to wear for a winter or fall session? Don’t be afraid to bundle up in style! Stylish winter and fall clothes and accessories can look amazing for your engagement session in the cold weather.
Interested in working with me?
I only photograph 20 weddings per year because I want to make sure I give my ALL to the couples who reserved me. Once I book that number I won’t be accepting anymore couples with no exceptions.
So, if you:
Love my work
Love what you’ve read in the bride testimonials
Have a wedding date
Have a wedding venue
I would love to chat to see if we’re the right fit for you!
Just click the link below, fill out the form, and I’ll be in touch to let you know if your wedding date is available!